The garden is a fun, beautiful, healthy environment that always welcomes volunteers in a number of capacities. Learn more about our volunteer opportunities.
No Part-Time-Time Positions Available
JOB TITLE: Communications Assistant
JOB TYPE: Full time, non-exempt, 40 hours/week, year-round
SUPERVISOR: Director of Marketing Communications
UPDATED: May 19, 2021
Berkshire Botanical Garden (BBG) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, membership-supported educational organization encompassing over 24 acres in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. The Garden’s mission is “to fulfill the community’s need for information, education and inspiration concerning the art and science of gardening and the preservation of our local environment.” Its Communications Department honors this mission by representing the Garden as a lively, creative hub where all Garden programs, classes and events are marketed and promoted to drive visitation and BBG’s visibility in the community. The department collaborates with a talented Marketing Committee of staff and board members experienced in public relations, art programming, and event planning, and aims to bring unique events to the Garden and its galleries. 2021 marks the Garden's 87th season.
BBG’s communications assistant performs duties that support ongoing programs including more than 150 workshops and classes, several large community events, and rotating art exhibitions annually. This deadline-driven, detail-oriented position requires creative thinking and team-based interaction with the Communications Director and eleven-member Marketing Committee. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, creating written, photographic and video content for several Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube accounts, press releases, and the Garden’s quarterly magazine, Cuttings; assisting in creating effective campaigns in email marketing through Constant Contact, and overseeing analytics and media reports for BBG’s management and board. The successful candidate will possess excellent organizational skills, work well on deadline, and exhibit a professional and collaborative approach when interacting with BBG staff, board and the public. Attendance at after-hours and weekend events is required throughout the year.
- Strong writing and editing abilities, preferably with an interest in or knowledge of horticulture or public gardens, parks, or arboreta.
- Creative visual artist with strong digital photography/video and photo editing skills, preferably with own camera equipment.
- Comfortable handling website management and editing tasks, using Drupal or similar web platforms.
- Familiarity with various marketing tools, to create effective email outreach through Constant Contact or similar platforms, and experience in developing and implementing impactful and visually unique social media campaigns.
- Experience producing print publications, including working with outside graphic designers and interfacing with sponsors and advertisers.
- Energetic team player who collaborates effectively with staff, board, instructors, exhibiting artists, the media, and the public.
- Intuitive approach to marketing and public relations. Excellent organizational and communication skills essential; a strong graphic design background preferred.
Berkshire Botanical Garden provides a beautiful and stimulating work environment, with each season highlighting its signature beauty and charm. The staff of 12-20 (depending on the season) work in various shared office spaces as well as on grounds, and share a common interest in the environment and the visitor/student experience. BBG is beginning the implementation of an ambitious master plan that will ultimately include a new visitor center, expanded formal and natural gardens and greenhouses.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and includes a full benefits package such as a generous health care reimbursement plan and paid time off. BBG encourages professional development and will help defray costs for staff to attend conferences and workshops throughout the year. Free enrollment in BBG adult community classes and workshops is offered for programs on a space available basis.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, three recent writing samples and up to five photography samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Full-Time Seasonal Positions
JOB TITLE: Farm in the Garden Camp Counselor/Educator
JOB TYPE: Seasonal/Summer
DATE POSTED: May 25, 2021
Berkshire Botanical Garden (BBG) is seeking Counselors/Educators for Farm in the Garden Camp, a summer day camp for children ages 5-14 held on the beautiful grounds of the Berkshire Botanical Garden in historic Stockbridge, MA. Campers at Farm in the Garden Camp care for farm animals, harvest food they grow themselves, and participate in a wide range of activities. The camp is small by design, and runs for eight weeks, following a week-long staff training. Berkshire Botanical Garden will comply with all state and federal COVID guidelines, including social distancing, mask wearing, and increased cleaning procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Responsible for co-leading a group of children ages 5-7, 8-10, or 11-14.
● Responsible for all aspects of camp life: participating in morning circle; running animal,
craft, and gardening activities.
● Overseeing snack and lunch time.
● Communicate with the Camp Director regarding behavior or medical issues.
● Serve as an adult role model for the campers.
● Lead farm and garden-based curriculum in addition to activities designed by the
● Enforce and regulate covid safety precautions within your group, including mask
wearing, proper hand-washing, social distancing, and monitoring participants’ health.
Maintain a clean space and adhere to any additional safety and cleaning procedures.
● Farm Camp Educators support and are supported by the Farm Specialist, Assistant Camp
Director, Camp Director, and Director of Education.
● A passion for youth development.
● Previous experience working with children *required.
● Experience with crafts, gardening, and farming experience preferred.
● Must be highly responsible, self-motivated, flexible, and capable of working outside all
● An abundance of patience for working with children as well as a good sense of humor
and strong work ethic.
● Must acquire CPR/First Aid certification before the first day of camp. Certification will be available through BBG prior to staff training.
● Be able to successfully pass a background check (CORI/SORI).
To comply with state regulations, the candidate must be 18 years of age or older and have graduated high school by June 21, 2021.
DURATION OF EMPLOYMENT, REQUIRED HOURS AND SALARY:
Dates of Employment (7 weeks of camp plus 1 week of camp training): Monday, June 21st, 2021 through Friday, August 13th, 2021.
Week 8 of camp will run at a limited capacity and will end on Friday, August 20th, 2021. If interested in working that week, please list that in your application.
Hours/Salary: Monday- Friday, 8:30AM- 4:00 PM with the addition of possible early pick- up and late pick up shifts every week. Early pick up and drop off is based on COVID regulations and needs. $13.75- $15.00 per hour, 35-38 hours per week.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Rachel Durgin, Camp Director at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
Berkshire Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 826 Stockbridge, MA 413.298.3926
Berkshire Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a work environment which is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of sex, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.