The garden is a fun, beautiful, healthy environment that always welcomes volunteers in a number of capacities. Learn more about our volunteer opportunities.
There are no full-time positions open at this time.
Farm Camp Educators
Job Type: Seasonal/Summer
Date Posted: December 22, 2017
Berkshire Botanical Garden is seeking Farm Camp Educators for this summer’s Farm in the Garden Camp. Farm in the Garden Camp is a day camp for children ages 5-14 held on the beautiful grounds of the Berkshire Botanical Garden in historic Stockbridge, MA. Campers care for farm animals, harvest food they grow themselves, and participate in a wide range of activities: bottle-feeding lambs, making cheese, running a farm stand, fiber crafts, baking treats with eggs collected from the chicken coop, extracting honey from our beehives, and much more. The camp is small by design, with just 25 children attending each week-long session.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Farm Camp Educators will be responsible for co-leading a group of children ages 5-7, 8-10, or 11-14.
- The Educators will be responsible for all aspects of camp life: participating in morning circle; running animal, craft, and gardening activities; overseeing snack and lunch time; communicating behavior or medical issues to the Camp Director; and generally acting as an adult presence and one of the leaders of their group throughout the camp day.
- Outside of the camp’s standard farm-based curriculum, there is an opportunity built into each camp day for the educators to lead an activity that they design themselves. Past activities include ponding, cooking favorite recipes, creating a play, flower pressing, natural tie dyeing, and many others.
- Farm Camp Educators will also support and be supported by the Farm Specialist, Camp Director and Counselors-in-Training (CITs).
- The Farm Camp Educators will report to the Camp Director.
- Previous experience working with children required
- Experience with crafts, gardening, and farming experience preferred
- Must be highly responsible, self-motivated, flexible, and capable of working outside all day
- An abundance of patience for working with children as well as a good sense of humor and strong work ethic
- Must acquire CPR/First Aid certification before the first day of camp (July 2, 2018) and
- Be able to successfully pass a background check
- To comply with state regulations, the candidate must be 18 years of age or older and have graduated high school by June 26, 2018.
Duration of Employment and Required Hours:
The position runs for eight weeks: a mandatory week of staff training and seven weeks of camp. The position begins on Monday, June 25, 2018 and ends on Friday, August 17, 2018. The work day is Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM until 3:30 PM, with the addition of early drop-off and late pick-up shifts each week. The salary is $11-14/hour, 35-38 hours/week.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Alex Fylypovych, Farm Camp Director, at email@example.com. Applications are accepted until all positions are filled.
Berkshire Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a work environment which is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of sex, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.