Berkshire Botanical Garden
CANCELED: In recent years the natural wine movement has produced a new wave of environmentally-friendly, low-additive wines that celebrate nature, simplicity, and deliciousness! During this workshop, you'll learn about the different forms of virtuous viticulture, from organic to biodynamic and natural wines. We will also discuss why some dismiss natural wine producers as charlatans who willfully break rules to sell crazy wine. And why others champion them as creating the simplest and purest expression of what wine can be. We will taste 3 different natural wines and explore such topics as :
- What is natural wine?
- What about the mysterious and, at times, bizarre world of biodynamic viticulture? How is it similar to and different from organic farming?
- Do sulfites really give me a headache?
- How did natural wine become so trendy?
- All the type about "natural wine" is centered around topics like sulfites and yeast - but what about the wider reaching conversations around sustainability and injustice? Where does natural wine crossover into those topics?
- Is natural wine a style of wine, or more a spirit or ethos?
- Should I drink it?
Benjamin and Mary Daire are a husband-wife team, owners and operators of Dare Bottleshop & Provisions located in Lenox, MA. At Dare, they celebrate the thirst for wines that represent place and maker, regionally-focused craft beers, artisanal ciders, exciting non-alcoholic beverages, and hunger for an elevated selection of food items.